Internal control is a multi-dimensional process, effected by an entity’s board of directors, management, and other personnel, designed to provide reasonable assurance regarding the achievement of objectives in the following categories:
- Effectiveness and efficiency of operations
- Reliability of financial reporting
- Compliance with applicable laws and regulations
The Objectives of Internal Controls are several in nature including:
- Strategic – high-level goals and objectives, aligned with and supporting the mission.
- Operational – effective and efficient use of resources.
- Reporting – integrity and reliability of reporting.
- Compliance – compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Stewardship – protection and conservation of assets
Internal Controls combines Internal Controls activities with operational, reporting and compliance dimensions of business operations. The Internal Controls follows a complex framework that requires specialist knowledge and expertise to execute. To help get you up to speed on the 5 inter-related standards wrapped around Internal Controls, we have developed an informational Boot Camp presentation which you can download by filling out the form.
Emma Zhang is an experienced audit professional, with more than six years of internal audit & Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) compliance focusing on operations, accounting, internal controls and process improvement. Competencies include operational auditing, accounting, management consulting, Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) compliance, audit planning and risk assessments, operational/financial planning and analysis, and data analysis. Emma is a resourceful, creative thinker and analytical problem solver with demonstrated ability to independently manage tasks from planning through execution in dynamic, fast-paced, and time-sensitive environments. Emma is a CPA with a CFE certificate. Emma is also a Blackline Certified Implementation Professional and helps clients to implement Blackline system.